I feel like I’m one of those rare ducks that isn’t full of a ton of unpopular opinions? It was a struggle to come up with these, but I did it. Here they are!
Please note: If you disagree with any of these that is 100% okay! I’m not right and you’re not wrong.
- Aurora Rising was a pretty terrible book. After loving the Illuminae Files I was incredibly disappointed with Kaufman and Kristoff’s newest. You can read my full review of it, but be warned it’s full of rants and frustrations.
- Dog earring pages is okay. Sometimes I don’t want to keep up with a bookmark, but I have too much going on in life to try and remember what page I’m on for next time I sit down to read. To me they’re marks of love and give a book character.
- The line I released a breath I didn’t realize I was holding that everybody loves to hate on? It’s actually completely valid. As somebody with anxiety, I find myself doing this all the time.
- Fantasy isn’t really that great of a genre. There is the occasional fantasy book I’ll enjoy, Cassandra Clare’s books are always ones I can get behind, but the majority of them overwhelm and confuse me.
- Deckled edges are trash. They make it more difficult to turn the page and they also make the book look sloppy. I don’t actually know how other people feel about this one though so it might not be a true unpopular opinion, but I needed to say it.
- There shouldn’t be so many special editions of books. Publishers need to stop giving different editions of the same book to Target, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and whoever else. It hurts readers who are passionate about the book. Just do one and be done.
- Stop hoarding your ARCs and only trading them for the rarest of unicorns that everybody else is looking for and don’t even exist. Pass them on to readers who want to review them or donate them to schools. Literally do anything with them except for hoarding them.
- The book community has turned reading into too much of a competition. It doesn’t actually matter how many books you manage to read in a year. Even if you only read one, you’re still a reader.
- You can arrange and organize your books however you want to. Rainbow shelves? They’re pretty! Want all of your books alphabetized by the author’s last name? That’s going to make them easy to find! Think the books look nice with their pages facing out instead of the spine? I love your creativity!
- Too many people use unpopular opinions to attack or put others down. It’s fine to have unpopular opinions, but there are right and wrong ways to go about sharing them. Let’s just all remember to be nice to each other and that we all like different things and that’s okay!
Do you agree with any of my unpopular opinions or do you have a different one? Let me know in the comments!
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted each week by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl. Visit her blog to find out what her unpopular opinions are and find other’s lists as well!