This post does contain affiliate links. I will receive a small amount from any purchases made through Book Depository at no extra cost to you.
Can you ever truly love someone who robbed you of everything?
Sixteen-year-old Claire Williams spends most of her days feeling angry and alone. After a car accident took her mother and Claire’s ability to walk, life in a wheelchair is the new normal.
When she’s sent to live with her grandmother, away from school and friends, Claire has a chance for a fresh start. Just when Claire thinks she can handle things, she runs into Todd – the son of the man who caused the car accident.
At first, Claire wants nothing to do with him, but the more time they spend together, the more she hates to admit her feelings. She’s slowly falling in love with Todd.
Now, Claire’s father wants to move and take Claire with him. But she can’t go. Not now when everything is falling into place, and she’s just now finding herself. Claire’s defiant. She won’t leave Greenwood, her new friends, her grandmother, or Todd.
Can Claire find the strength to let her dad go on with his life while leaving her behind to live hers, or will she allow the guilt and shame of surviving the accident pull her back under?
Claire’s Grandma’s Homemade Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Claire’s Grandma bakes a lot of cookies in Finding Me. She bakes oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, and even sugar cookies. It’s how she and Claire bond, and it’s a huge stress reliever for Claire, who struggles though so much: going to a new school, losing her mother, losing her ability to walk, and meeting the son of the boy who caused the car accident, starting the whole chain of events that affected Claire’s life.
To celebrate the book, I’m providing a recipe for oatmeal cookies that I bake often with my own daughters, especially after a rough day or when they are feeling stressed or sad. Of course, I’m throwing raisin in mine (because who doesn’t love a chewy raisin in their oatmeal cookies?), but of course, you can always omit them if plain oatmeal cookies are more your style!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups of oats (quick cooking oats)
- 1 ½ cups raisins (optional)
- Extra sugar for sprinkling (optional)
Directions for Baking:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- With a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, mix together the softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until mixture is fluffy and pale in color (usually between 3-5 minutes).
- Mix in one egg, beat until incorporated, and then add the second egg and beat as well. Finally, mix in vanilla extract and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Combine this with the butter mixture. Add in the oats and the raisins, if desired. Mix well.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets. Slightly flatten the cookies with the back of a spoon or a glass, and add a pinch of sugar to the top of each, if desired.
- Bake cookies for roughly 8-10 minutes, depending on desired level of doneness. For crispier cookies, bake the full 10 minutes. For chewier cookies, bake for 8.
- Cool completely and enjoy!
Kelly Gunderman was born a child of the late eighties in small-town Pennsylvania. A bibliophile in her own right, she is hoping to one day surpass the number of pages she has turned with those she has written of her own accord.
Having recently completed her Bachelor’s in Early Childhood Development, Kelly suddenly found herself with a bit more free time than usual, and began her immediately successful foray into blogging and Freelance Writing, which subsequently led to her renewed desire to finally put her ideas and imaginings “on paper.”
Focusing primarily on the Young Adult genre, Kelly’s first novel, Finding Me, was published by Swoon Romance, and she is currently working on putting even more stories on paper.
She currently resides in her original home town with her husband, their two daughters, and a few cats that constantly challenge the sanity of all with their ill-advised attempts at what can only be assumed to be world domination.
Enter to win a coffee mug, tea, and a $10 Amazon gift card from Kelly Gunderman!
Giveaway is open to US residents and starts 8/19/2019 and ends 8/28/2019. Enter through the Rafflecopter form and don’t forget to read the rules!
That Artsy Reader Girl – Welcome Interview
Love, Stars, and Books – Book Review
Musings of a (Book) Girl – Promotional Content
Phannie the Ginger Bookworm – Book Review + Favorite Quotes, Promotional Content
Bookishly Nerdy – Book Review, Author Guest Post
Wishful Endings – Author Q&A
Confessions of a YA Reader – Promotional Content
Moonlight Rendezvous – Book Review + Favorite Quotes
Ginger Mom and Company – Book Review
Kayla Reads Books – Blogger Creative Post
A Dream Within a Dream – Promotional Content
The Shelf Life Chronicles – Book Review, Author Guest Post
Fyrekatz Blog – Book Review, Promotional Content
Between the Pages – Book Review
Struck By Stories – Author Q&A